Sunday 21 September 2014

MY SISTER GOES TO UNI AND NOW I'M SAD

Today has been a pretty emotional day; my sister Hannah moved away to university. Although she's only about an hour and a half drive away and probably half that distance from where I work, it was still very sad to see her go and to now be sat at home without her to talk to feels very lonely. I kind of wanted to film today as a 'vlog' but you can see how much Hannah hates me in these photos just by quickly trying to take photos on my phone, so any filming would have most definitely resulted in me not seeing my 22nd birthday... *p.s sorry for the photos I did manage to get, Hannah!*



The journey up to her uni was pretty straightforward and the only issue we had was my crazy nan. She was either doubting the sat nav's ability to do its one job, or flirting with the poor young guys at the uni, dropping the words 'darling' and 'sweetie' in as often as possible. Whenever an older man tried helping her with directions she would moan that he's way too old. The poor guys were probably late 40's or early 50's and she's 72... 


My crazy nan, camera shy - maybe that's where Hannah gets it from.

I think Hannah must have been the favourite child as there is no way I was bought as much stuff as she was; I'm sure she has enough food to feed the whole of her flat for the rest of the first year. Her room was pretty standard and basic, it was smaller than mine but it's still a decent size. Her kitchen is a lot worse than mine was, it's pretty small and old fashioned, even though I think the building is supposedly new... It surprised me that it already looked filthy and it didn't even have an oven which we all thought was very weird. Are uni students not known for just shoving pizzas and chips into the oven?! 



Like me, she wasn't too excited for uni as she also went mostly because it seemed the thing to do and she didn't know what else to do. I tried to say it's okay if you don't go straight away and there's so much time later on if you want to wait a year but she ended up going anyway. After setting up her room and fully stocking her cupboards and fridge space, we emotionally said goodbye. She was already very teary and I didn't want to make her worse so I tried to stay strong and not tear at all, (although a little one may have escaped), like I've said on my fresher's advice posts, I told her to just get straight in there and talk to whoever she can find as it completely takes your mind off any home sickness.


I'm going to miss her being around so much as we get on really well and it's like just having a friend around all the time. I know she'll probably be back fairly regularly as it's not too far to drive and it's also a pretty easy and fairly reasonably priced train journey. It was sad to leave her on her own but it now feels better that she's met people and is now apparently playing the good old drinking game of ring of fire! I  feel like I've lost a part of me and now all that remains is her two cats that I get to look after, that I'm not always the biggest fan of, as they are probably the most annoying cats that I have ever met.



It was very surreal taking Hannah to uni as I feel like I'm still at uni myself, having only graduated this July. For some reason I still feel like I am her age, when I think that she's 19 next year I think that's still pretty much my age, when really I'm 3 years older and have already graduated from university and now receive letters asking if I want to join a pension programme - yes kids time really does fly!
A long, long time ago & still my favourite person.  

Are any of your siblings away at uni atm? 

If you're a fresher, you can check out my fresher's guide to survival 'here




2 comments:

  1. Aww I bet it's such a hard time for you! You'll be able to go visit though and relive the experience haha
    Xx

    lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved