Sunday 14 July 2013

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF MONEY WASN'T AN ISSUE?


Okay, prepare for some deep writing; this post is going to be a little, well a lot different to the usual ones on this blog and probably pretty lengthly.

I found this video on my uni's facebook page; someone had posted it and the title immediately caught my eye. I'd probably go as far to say that all my life I've been pretty materialistic. I lived in a beautiful big house, I was always spoilt by my amazing Nan and Grandad and life was easy. It wasn't until my mum and 'dad' had a horrid, disgusting divorce that life wasn't so great anymore. My 'dad' was the main earner of the family and I saw how awful money could be, how evil and controlling it could be. For the next five or so years, I was determined to do whatever to get a high paying job and always be independent; I never wanted to get married or have children.

In addition to this, I was also strongly urged by others that this was the way to go and it didn't matter if you don't enjoy what you do, you just do it for the money. 

I was always good at art in school and as a hobbie. I always achieved some of the highest grades in my classes and I always enjoyed it. It was always what I was best known for. Moreover, I have always been obsessed with make-up; I was so intrigued from such a young age. I would watch films and be concentrating way more on the girls make up than the actual story line. I would look through magazines and admire all of the make up in them and also drive my mum crazy by the time I would spend in Superdrug looking at make up. 

If you're reading this and thinking hmm so how does this all relate? Well, it does, I promise. 

When I was choosing my A - Level subjects, I was urged not to take Art as 'It wont get you anywhere in life.' Instead I took law, because, well we all know how much solicitors and barristers earn.

I didn't really realise the fault in this until I got to university and started studying law. Now, probably like a lot of you, I'm the kind of girl that is much more interested in what the latest make-up and beauty trends are than what's going on in the world and politics. Now, when you're studying law this isn't exactly ideal. I have absolutely no interest in what equity and trusts actually means and I really don't care what like three different judges think of the same case. It's not for me. I would sit there trying to write assignments and just not care. I didn't have the passion for it that others did, I didn't care to argue why something was the way it was, whatever, who am I to say? Instead I would be sneaking onto Youtube and watching Pixiwoo's make up tutorials and sitting there trying the looks out for myself. 

To get to the whole point of this, what I'm trying to say is, I've always loved make-up and I am horrified that somehow when the question was asked, so what do you want to do in life? I didn't know it was make-up. The reason why I didn't realise, was because I've been influenced so much that It never seemed an option for me, as it isn't typically a huge paying job, well as much as say a barrister. However, since I've realised it apparently can pay pretty well - BUT obviously that's not the point in this post. 

I've posted this video in hope to inspire you. Do what you want in life, do what you love most, don't waste your time being unhappy because it's really not worth it. What am I going to do with a degree in Law when all I want to do is make-up? When I tell people what I actually want to do, they laugh and ask what I seriously want to do. They then ask why are you doing such a hard degree then? So, always do what makes you happy, we all have something that we are passionate about and that we were made to do. Don't worry if you haven't found it yet, you will. I do achieve really good grades in law, but there's no passion and I can't see myself ever having a successful career in law as I just don't have that passion that you need to be successful, which I do for make-up. It's also really clear to me how much better I could be doing if I loved it as much as I love make-up. So, find something you're passionate about and trust me, it'll be so much easier to be successful, in the sense that you absolutely love what you do. When you love what you do, who cares about the money.It's more important to be happy in what you're doing. I am now a strong believer that you will only be successful and live a happy life if you are truly passionate about what you are doing.

To anyone that made it through that long essay, thank you and I hope it meant something to you. Now go out there and follow your dreams, not anyone elses!



4 comments:

  1. Heyy girl(s) I've just mentioned your blog in my recent blog post, would love if you checked it out xx
    laurathinksabout.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) I just found your blog and thought this was a really inspiring post! I agree, it's so important to do something you are passionate about in life..good advice!

    Please check out my blog, I'm new to the blogging world!

    Gemma talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, definitely makes for a much happier life :)

      Delete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved